We welcomed representatives of Surrey Police to the March edition of the Last Post today. We were honoured to have the Police and Crime Commissioner, David Munro, Deputy Chief Constable Nev Kemp, the Ceremonial Association of Surrey Police and cadets from the Runneymede and Woking units.
Surrey Police lost 18 officers during the First World War and their names were read out along with brief details about each officer. We remembered:
- Private William George Deacon
- Private Henry Edward Thomas Bullen
- Private Ernest William Brattle
- Private Sidney Charles Macey
- Private James Freemantle
- Private Thomas Freemantle
- Private William Avenall
- Lance Corporal Noah Smithers
- Sergeant Ernest Alfred Warrel
- Private Donald Russell
- Private Harry George Wise
- Private William Payne
- Sergeant Henny John Gascoyne (DCM)
- Reservist Frank James Joyce
- Lance Corporal Alfred James Weller
- Sergeant Charles Henry Childs
- Sergeant Harry Noakes
The Police and Crime Commissioner read out the poem Police – War Stories.
Our Standard Bearer was Alan Lopez, Tom Milne carried the Union Flag and we had two Standards from Surrey Police as well as the Royal British Legion, the Artists Rifles and the Woking Royal Navy Association.
Mrs Ruth Moore sounded the Last Post and the service was officiated by Bert Steed.
Afterward the Standards were inspected by the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Deputy Chief Constable, we had refreshments at the Trench Experience.